The Juris Blog.

Juris is making the world more fair through law-powered technology. Here you'll find project updates, research, and discussion about legal tech and access to justice.

Next Steps After a DepositLetter

A demand letter is just the first step in defending your rights. Here's what to do if your DepositLetter doesn't work.

Article Author:

Ethan Mackay

Ethan Mackay

Co-Founder and General Counsel at Juris
Blog Header - Debt Collector Rights

If your old landlord has received your DepositLetter and refuses to return your money, you have a few different options. We’ve laid them out here so you can think them through and choose your best course of action. We’re happy to answer any questions regarding these steps but do not provide direct assistance with them.

  1. Send a follow up email. It’s possible that the landlord thought hard about returning your money but is still hoping you’ll go away. If you send an email, the landlord may decide you aren’t giving up anytime soon and give in to your demand. We recommend attaching a copy of your DepositLetter to this email so they see it again.
  2. Send another letter. Again, it’s possible that your landlord is just hoping you’ll go away. If you send another letter, they may decide you aren’t giving up and give in to your demand. Currently, Juris does not offer a service for second letters, so you’ll have to draft and mail the letter yourself. We recommend sending it by certified mail so you can prove in court, if necessary, that you sent it and it was delivered.
  3. Get help from a legal aid organization. These organizations provide free help to people in need of legal services. The Legal Services Corporation is a non-profit that connects people to free legal aid in their local area. Click here to go to their website, then look for the “Find Legal Aid” button in the top right.
  4. Hire a lawyer to help you sue the landlord. This might be difficult since most lawyers charge hundreds of dollars an hour, which will eventually outweigh the value of your security deposit. You can start looking using Google.
  5. Sue the landlord without a lawyer. This is not as hard as it may sound. Google your state along with the term “small claims court”. Most states have websites with helpful guides instructing you on how to sue someone in small claims court.

We hope this information is helpful and we wish you the best of luck!

Juris is not a law firm or a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Juris provides a self-help service with general information and assistance only. Juris cannot and does not provide legal advice. Your access to this website and use of this service is subject to our Terms of Service.

If you have any comments, questions, or just want to say hi 👋, we would love to hear from you! You can use the chat system in the bottom right corner of this screen or email the team directly at